Summer is in full swing. The sun is out, the weather is incredible, ice cold drinks and treats are a must, and I just love being able to sit outside and enjoy the sunshine for however long I can. For me, summer has always meant that that extra bit of time to consume that many more books. School is over, the days feel a bit longer, and I have a little bit more freedom to do whatever I want, which is probably why I daydreamt about summer reading so much in the first half of 2018.
I don’t tend to have a set reading list that I strictly follow. I do have in mind a number of books that I do want to read. Many of these books have been sitting on my TBR pile for months, possibly even years, that I just haven’t gotten to yet. A number of books on this list are actually part of series that I’ve been waiting to read until all the books in the series have been released. That way I won’t have to wait to read the entirety of the series or too long till the next book is published.
So, without further ado, here’s my Summer 2018 Reading List!
I do love reading a bit of non-fiction in the summer and every single one of these books are books that I’ve been desperate to read for the last year. This list includes some of my favourite non-fiction writers/essayists including Roxane Gay and Rebecca Solnit.
- Hunger by Roxane Gay
- The Mother of All Questions by Rebecca Solnit
- Wanderlust by Rebecca Solnit
- This Will Be My Undoing by Morgan Jenkins
- Freedom is a Constant Struggle by Angela Y. Davis
- The Sixth Extinction: An Unnatural History by Elizabeth Kolbert
- The Lost City of Z by David Grann
Next up is romance. Romance arguably takes up the most room on my TBR pile and that’s not a surprise to me considering most of the books I buy, the majority of them ebooks, are romance novels. This list also includes some of my favourite authors and authors I’ve been dying to read for a long time. Romance novels make a great summer read, you can dive into a story, become completely enveloped in the story of two people falling in love, and end up with a happily ever after at the end of the novel. Brilliant!
- The Wedding Date by Jasmine Guillory
- The Kiss Quotient by Helen Hoang
- A Princess in Theory by Alyssa Cole
- Hold Me by Courtney Milan
- The Duchess Deal by Tessa Dare
- The Day of the Duchess by Sarah MacLean
- A Girl Like Her by Talia Hibbert
- Act Like It by Lucy Parker
- Take the Lead by Alexis Daria
- Love Will Always Remember by Tracey Livesay
The last stop on my summer reading list is fiction. When it comes to summer reading, I look for something fun to delve into, an adventure to go on, or a mystery to submerse myself into. These books come from numerous genres including science-fiction and fantasy, young adult, and mystery. Quite a few of the books on this list are a part of different series, series that I’ve already started and love or series that I can’t wait to read.
- Heroine Complex by Sarah Kuhn
- The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas
- The Language of Secrets by Ausma Zehanat Khan
- Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi
- The Killing Moon by N.K. Jemisin
- The Fifth Season by N. K. Jemisin
- The Case for Jamie by Brittany Cavallaro
- Demon Crown by James Rollins
Those are all the books on my summer 2018 reading list. It’s an ambitious list for sure. Do I think I’ll get through all of them by the start of September? I hope so. I will be heading to Portugal at the end of August and I’m definitely planning on taking a few of these books with me.
Thanks for reading!